Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NEW PROJECT - Pi Segment (not boinc)

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin

Thumbs up NEW PROJECT - Pi Segment (not boinc)

There is a new project starting that is aiming to bring the chinese people more into Distributed Computing. This is probably one of the first DC projects started in China, if not the first one.
    Pi Segment is a distributed computing project held by an university student. It aims to propagandize distributed computing, encourage people to make full use of their computational power and challenge the world record of calculating Pi. There are many popular distributed computing projects in other countries, but there's none in China. We hope that Pi Segment can change this situation.
    Website --> http://pisegment.vicp.net/
    (If you see the site in chinese characters, look in the top right corner and change the language to english)

To join the project, all you need is to download the client application, the link is on the main page. When you run it for the first time you will be able to create a new account or attach to an already existing one.

TIP - When the application is running you can close it and it will keep on working with only an icon on the system tray.

Here's a picture of the client application.

NOTE - Do not follow my example regarding to the cache of WorkUnits. It is recommended to have around one day of cached WU's in case of network problems. Measure how long a WU takes on your machine and adjust the "fill up cache to" number accordingly.

Once you have created an account and started crunching, you should go to the website, log in, and update your information on the "My Account" section. This may change in the future, but up to client v1.0.5.1 the Country setting could only be modified on the website. When you register you are assigned to the "Other" country. (means it's undefined)

Also, it's on the "My account" section that you can join a team, so go there and join AMD Users!

up and running and joined the team already

Site Admin
    Forgot to mention something...

In this project, credits are a kind of currency, the points for the rankings are workunits finished.
    - Everyone starts with 2,000 credits.
    - Each workunit downloaded costs 100 credits.
    - Each workunit finished and uploaded grants 150 credits (or 120 if it's uploaded past the deadline)

Manage your credits well...

Hummm....curious credit system....I'm in.

Tony Kaye, Billy Sherwood, Alan White, Jimmy Haun

Amd Users StatsJoin World Community Grid

I have change the case to 24 WU´s on my Intel and 12 for my AMD but did it help if they have network problemss because a finished work will be uploaded or will it be on a output queque and released when the network problems is solved?
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Site Admin
    The client will try to upload workunits on output queue for several times until it reaches a maximum number of times. Usually you don't need to do anything, but if the network problem takes long to solve you will need to press the "Upload" button to send the workunits once the problem is solved on the server. (Or restart the client)

Hi guys! I'm the founder of this project. Thank you for testing it!

Usually, it can download, compute and upload automactically. Moreover, it can keep the finished WU in cache and upload it when network is fine.

Different from BOINC, the credit in this project is only used to prevent users from downloading too many WUs and to fulfil some requirement, e.g. creating group.

I'm not so good at English. So I hope you can understand my expression

When I changed the case my credit wents down to 700???
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Quote Originally Posted by Lagu View Post
    When I changed the case my credit wents down to 700???
    well, your credit will decrease 100 when you download a WU successfully. Then, it will increase 150 or 120 after you upload its result.

Quote Originally Posted by JUST View Post
    Hi guys! I'm the founder of this project. Thank you for testing it!

I'm not so good at English. So I hope you can understand my expression
    Welcome to the AMD Users forum JUST.

Its an honor and a privilege to welcome a Project Founder

Your English is much better than my Chinese. Ni hâo

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast