Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MJ12: Need help!

i am still here

I am still cruching away at mj12. its better to leave it at 10% and run it than get your isp pissed and have to stop.

P.S. I am #1 in QMC hahahaha

Hm... I'm still having communication problems while running Majestic. Boinc is having problems uploading completed work units and downloading new work. I am having difficulty getting online with my browser - having to snooze both Majestic and Boinc, and eventually - after 5 minutes or so of trying I can finally get online.

I use all Windo$e products, W-XP and W-Internet Explorer. I have reduced all the Majestic priorities to below average and I have limited the connection speed to 50% for uploads and downloads. At first this seemed to help, but not lately.

Any ideas?

Resource issue with Norton's while running MJ12

Last night I was poking around in my system to try to determine why my Riesel Sieve output seemed so low, well actually everything seemed to be running slow...

I found a problem in my Task Manager while running Norton's Internet Security suite and Majestic12. On the processes page: CCPROXY.exe was using about 1.3 Gig of RAM and 70-75% of my system's Processor capacity while MJ12 was running. This was taking a serious bite out of Boinc resources for Riesel Seive. At first I had thought that Norton's could be running some temporary update or scan process in the background, but after watching it for several hours it just didn't seem to let go of the resources.

I'm wondering if Norton's was busy scanning all those web URLs that MJ12 was visiting. I really don't know but that would seem to be what was happening. Anyhow, I ran a Norton's update and restarted my machine - then promply fell asleep while my machine was booting, and lost 5 hours of crunching/crawling time (WinDoze is now an action verb-Whee!).

Anyhow, upon re-start CCPROXY.EXE is now using about 6.5 Meg of ram and 2-7% of CPU capacity. I'll be monitoring this issue over the next several days to see if Norton's seems to be retaining resources over time and not releasing them, and consequently slowing down my machine.
    Last edited by Steve Lux; 10-19-2006 at 05:55 AM.

I'll be shutting down Majestic-12 for the 10 days I'll be on vacation. MJ tends to lock-up my internet access and sometimes interferes with BOINC's ability to get and report work units. Even shutting down Majestic won't release the ports, or whatever is blocking internet access.

Also my youngest son comes by sometimes to go into the internet. As MJ tends to block internet access the only way to get it back is to re-IPL the machine. He doesn't know how to re-start Boinc, so I don't want to leave Boinc off for nearly a week and a half while I am gone.

Anyhow, when I get back I'll start Majestic back up.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    Steve,

There are virus' that I would rather have than Norton. When I ran it I had a problem somewhat like you have. It tended to snowball and eat up resourses. That was when a huge machine had 256 meg of mem. I got rid of it and went to AVG. The problems were solved. I can't say for sure that it was the only problem but I haven't had the same problem since.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

I'm battling on to try and hit my 500,000,000 mark in MJ12. A few days more and i should find that i've made it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ototero View Post
    I'll run some, but my ISP bitches a lot. I'm staying in a B&B for the rest of the week, I'll use their bandwidth
    Haha...use and abuse...thats what free internet is open to
    Before BOINC: 8778 Seti WUs Crunched

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    I only run it sometimes and on the last few days of the month. I only have 13Gb of monthly "allowance" on a 2Mbit/128kb connection. MJ-12 would waste my monthly bandwitdth limit in a couple of days.

If any are interested; at the present rate and in about 2 weeks the KWSN team will take our 5th place away from us in Majestic-12.

I have been able to tone down Majestic-12 where it no longer locks me out from internet access. (I used to have to re-boot to regain internet access) It's only running at about 1/2 to 1/3 of my capacity, but at least it is no longer hogging resources.

Commonly there are only 3 and sometimes 4 from AMD Users working on this project.

I have tried run it last week during the night using 10 workers but the successes is too low to be acceptable so I shouted down the node.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast