Not a good day today. I've had 2 instances now of hosed up motherboards, model Gigabyte GA M61PM-S2 MATX AM2. Two bad out of four, with one to go yet. AND.......... I'd bought TWO 1gb DDR2 800 sticks. One of the sticks was goo, one bad, took it back to the shop (132 miles away) they traded me out and guess what, the replacement one is bad. Tested that on three other motherboards. So I think I'm done screwing with those people.

I had been getting Asus, but then there was some traffic on the boards saying people had been having trouble with those lately, so I went for the gigabyte boards. The board was just plain flakey, didn't like this or that, then the next time this was okay but that wasn't. Meanwhile then it had fits with netcards, or HD's. Put the HD's back in another system and the drive worked fine and the filesystem was fine.

So I think it's time to head for Fry's and get a few of their cheapest, rot-gut brand AM2 motherboards. No sense putting money into these things. Ain't messing around with gigabyte no more.

So anyway, my trusty old xp2000+ that was going to get replaced didn't get replaced and it's happily crunching away while I sit here and fume. I think I'll wait for tomorrow before I touch the otherone.