Thread: Your OC

Your OC

so, what was your setup?

i can't even remember if i started out at default (turbo) of 21 x 133 (2793 mhz) or if i did a mild 3024/3087 (nice round number or multiple of 7/21 for FSB), but after getting my butt handed to me, i cranked it up to 3500 (21 x 166).

being my first OC attempt, i left volages to "auto", which sometimes isn't the best. it was sending 1.48v to the CPU. i got that more under control (~1.43), but didn't have much luck with the other settings similarly locked to non-auto settings. so i let that ride.

after CONTINUING to get slaughtered, i made a few attempts to hit 3750-3800 but had to settle with 3675 (21 x 175) at 1.45v or 1.47v.

then weather got a bit warmer... so in refusing to turn on AC, and core temps starting to scare me, i decided to pare back. achieved 3500 (20 x 175) at 1.38v... (which the bios claims is only 0.04 or 0.06v over "default").

I'm not exactly the OC'ing type since I'm all on stock, but I've done it before. The highest I've gone with my Q6600 (Stock: 2.4GHz) was 3.0GHz. I couldn't sustain that due to rising core temperatures with the stock heatsink/fan.

For the competition I OC'd to 2.6GHz. After not being that sucessful in the first round, I decided to bump it up to 2.8GHz. That managed to get me into 5th place for the last 2 rounds. This round I'm at 4th place and hoping to make it that way. But I can't go against the new i7's (and Phenom II's) with Linux running. I'm no Linux expert, but it seems Linux does better when crunching stuff.

EDIT: Guess I should report my temps. With stock, each of my 4 cores hover around 45-50 degrees Celsius. Throughout the race, the core temps hover around 60-70 degrees depending on ambient temperature. I was a bit worried about the high core temps during this summer heat, but figured if it was temporary, it should be fine. Now that the race is over, I'm back to stock.
    Last edited by gamer007; 06-14-2009 at 12:50 AM.

except for this last race, windows does much better then linux and intel does equally as much better than amd. your q6600 is beating my 955 running at a modest 3.5 Ghz (too hot for poor cooling in HTPC case, only MB that currently supports it).

Hi all,

Endup up at reliable 21x192, just over 4ghz, after not being able to rely on 21x194 for more than 4-6 hours, water cooled setup, room temp set at 64F and fans on the secondary chips. Brrr its cold in here. This Asus p6t6 ws is really a great board. rock solid so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellds View Post
    Hi all,

Endup up at reliable 21x192, just over 4ghz, after not being able to rely on 21x194 for more than 4-6 hours, water cooled setup, room temp set at 64F and fans on the secondary chips. Brrr its cold in here. This Asus p6t6 ws is really a great board. rock solid so far.
    Need pictures of this "freezer" with your water-cooled computer. But dang, what a machine.

Quote Originally Posted by gamer007 View Post
    I'm no Linux expert, but it seems Linux does better when crunching stuff.
    better? or they're just given more points?

Quote Originally Posted by liuqyn View Post
    except for this last race, windows does much better then linux and intel does equally as much better than amd. your q6600 is beating my 955 running at a modest 3.5 Ghz (too hot for poor cooling in HTPC case, only MB that currently supports it).
    my 710 shuts down due to heat in my htpc at just 56C (AMD fan). i'm a bit miffed at that... i had a 9550 do ok til it stopped rising at 60C during the summer...

now that i have The OC Bug, i may consider running long term at 21 x 147 (unless there's a "better" multiplier i can use). i've previously shunned OCing due to unnecessary wear and tear on hardware, but i DO want to catch up with my friend Derril on rosetta at some point (team cananda)...

edit: i'm ALSO miffed the Intel HSF for the i7 failed to cool it, period. i've successfully kept the 710 cool before with proper case air flow, but Intel outright failed. pretty sure it was installed properly. no issues with my only other intel, an E4400 ES (+Q6600 Intel fan). the fan's surface i'm pretty sure is dead flat. i got the impression the heat spreader might not have been, but i can't say for sure. really don't want to take it apart again.

also, MSI's terrible NB cooler was an issue, too. there's no excuse for how ineffective it is. it was 85C with an 80mm fan leaning right against it. they've been a blind buy previously for me (my last 4 or 5 out of 6 or 7 were MSIs and are going strong), most have done DCing nonstop except for the hottest months, but now i definintely will be reading reviews more closely before clicking Buy.
    Last edited by plonk420; 06-14-2009 at 01:32 AM.

I started my AMD Phenom II 940 at 3.2ghz on the first race. I had to back down to 3ghz on poem for some odd reason. The 3rd race I added a few radiators to the loop and a bigger pump along with a bit more voltage to the CPU to achieve 3.7ghz. The last race was also at 3.7ghz and just didn't like Linux or AMD I am moving my quad back to WCG to see how many points it averages with the new overclock so I can compare it to the projects we ran during the race. If the new overclock works well at WCG I expect it to be my best points per hour project I've run on the 940 with Linux.
    Last edited by Jason1478963; 06-14-2009 at 02:54 AM.

ah, temps back down to a more comfortable number... ~64C on the cores, 49C for "CPU" sensor. 0.02v over "default" (had to pull it back to 21x140. may try for 21x147 with voltage as close to 1.30v (or under) as possible...tomorrow)