Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indecision

Not a good day today. I've had 2 instances now of hosed up motherboards, model Gigabyte GA M61PM-S2 MATX AM2. Two bad out of four, with one to go yet. AND.......... I'd bought TWO 1gb DDR2 800 sticks. One of the sticks was goo, one bad, took it back to the shop (132 miles away) they traded me out and guess what, the replacement one is bad. Tested that on three other motherboards. So I think I'm done screwing with those people.

I had been getting Asus, but then there was some traffic on the boards saying people had been having trouble with those lately, so I went for the gigabyte boards. The board was just plain flakey, didn't like this or that, then the next time this was okay but that wasn't. Meanwhile then it had fits with netcards, or HD's. Put the HD's back in another system and the drive worked fine and the filesystem was fine.

So I think it's time to head for Fry's and get a few of their cheapest, rot-gut brand AM2 motherboards. No sense putting money into these things. Ain't messing around with gigabyte no more.

So anyway, my trusty old xp2000+ that was going to get replaced didn't get replaced and it's happily crunching away while I sit here and fume. I think I'll wait for tomorrow before I touch the otherone.

Rimrock!

ASUS isn´t that bad as peoples say. I have this motherboard on my Intel Core2 Duo and it works fine. No problems at all. ASUS have a nice tool for easy overclocking too.
    Once an AMDuser always an AMD user

I've got a few asus boards, and haven't had any trouble with them myself.

I should have just ordered them. But you get ants in your pants to get something going in a hurry and don't want to wait for UPS or Fed-Ex. Seems like every time I get in a rush, something happens with the parts. Maybe one of these years I'll learn.

I've never had a problem with Asus boards... Asus is always my first choice but then I like Abit...
    I’m Dangerously Under Medicated!!!

I've only had one abit...... was a good board but the chup fan was really really noisy. couldn't sit in the same room with it for very long.

Have you tried any DFI motherboards? I have one on my Opteron 165 and it is excellent.

Is anyone running linux on AM2 motherboards, and if so, what specific motherboards and linux distro, and sata or IDE??

Is anyone running linux on AM2 motherboards, and if so, what specific motherboards and linux distro, and sata or IDE??
    Not yet, but I'm thinking about it
    If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
    Congress!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12