Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indecision

Indecision

I was looking at the price of the C2D Quad, ultra-whatever it is, like a thousand bucks for the chip. Don't know what M/B. Anyway, probably looking at around $1500 or so by the time the memory, HD, and M/B. I guess that is the 6700 chip equiv. So I got to wondering really if the performance of that would be any better really than 2 of the high(er) end amd x2 chips. Still would be a quad equiv. There are only a couple projects really that the c2d does better at than the amd. Not looking to start a war here either. Just wondering if anyone has some actual production stats between the two? Another question is whether you think the higher price of the quad intel is really worth it? For instance one could purchase 3 X2-4200's for the same price if judiciousprice shopping was followed.

Comments/thoughs please?

edit: I forgot to add in the cost of a high end PS for the quad too. =:0

Do you want to wait for the REAL quads? The intel ones, I believe are 2 duals cut and pasted together. Both intel and AMD are bringing out real quads later this year.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Probably not a bad idea.

Or buy some lower spec CPUs and overclock them. The C2D 6300 will oc to 3Ghz on air given reasonable RAM and a decent m/b. Avoid the mistake I made using the Asrock dual-vsta m/b as they don't like to oc.

My Gigabyte DS3 C2D 6400 (stock 2.13GHz) is at 2.7GHz and I've only just started messing with it.

Well I took the AMD solution. Went and bought two X2-3800's this afternoon. While not C2D's, the price was a lot better. Then maybe next fall/winter I'll have some more saved up so I can go for one of the amd quads.

OK Rimrock, so what DC project(s) are you going to crunch them on?

AMD X2s would shine on my favourite - BOINC Riesel Sieve.

Don't know yet. Still gotta do a bit of playing around. Didn't buy windows cause that would have been another 300+ bux. Got sata drives. So now I've either got to download one of the linux distro's that supports mpc and sata or go in and do a recompile, but gotta get something loaded first.

Crunching, probably medical stuff is what I'm thinking. Will look at that after the kernel issue is resolved. Until then they are just singles.

I saw you ran some D2OL. That's good, now all you need do is join our team.
    Nflight made some instructions here:

http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3496

Unfortunately the members services page that allows you to join a team at Sengent appears to have been hacked. I posted in the D2OL official forum so hopefully they'll un-hack it.

http://d2ol.sengent.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp
    Last edited by vaughan; 04-14-2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: add info on joining team

Unfortunately the members services page that allows you to join a team at Sengent appears to have been hacked. I posted in the D2OL official forum so hopefully they'll un-hack it.

http://d2ol.sengent.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp[/quote]

that url needs to start with //app.d2ol....................

And it's fine. The one you have posted above looks like the old one when Sengent used to be running the ballpark, but they don't anymore.

http://app.d2ol.com/memberServices/memberLogin.jsp
    ^^^^^^^^^^ the correct url.

Don't forget the Quad Opteron is on its way this year... Also, great work on
    D2OL!!!
    I’m Dangerously Under Medicated!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast