Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Upgrade

Gamer: "But I've heard MS is already working on the next-gen Windows "Vienna" set for 2009, which doesn't seem to leave much time for Vista to become mainstream like XP did. But we'll see in the future."

So, that means the new OS will likely be out in 2011, and sufficient patches out by the end of 2012 then?

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
    LOL!
    Life was so much easier when the O/S was on 5 1/4"
    I got a chuckle out of that one! Remember when the big thing back then for the few computer mags there were, was to send out that big floppy with the latest and greatest. Commodore PC's, Kaypro, etc. heh heh

Vista(longhorn) was originally expected to ship sometime late in 2003 (was little late Nov 06) as a minor step between Windows XP (Whistler)
    So, that means the new OS will likely be out in 2011, and sufficient patches out by the end of 2012 then?
    YEP if Linux doesn't take over before that.
    If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
    Congress!

Quote Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
    I got a chuckle out of that one! Remember when the big thing back then for the few computer mags there were, was to send out that big floppy with the latest and greatest. Commodore PC's, Kaypro, etc. heh heh
    Them were the days!

The thing is, Microsoft had already started grabbing us by the 'short and curlys' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
    Them were the days!

The thing is, Microsoft had already started grabbing us by the 'short and curlys'
    My first XT was a Kaypro. Was a good system really, but cost me an arm and a leg back then. It's pretty amazing that between then and now, Uncle Billy went from a regular nerd, to the richest man in the world. Who woulda thought???

I cut my coding teeth on the (usually game) code they used to send with computer magazines. For you youngsters; back around 1980 - 1982 they used to send out the actual code files printed in the magazines, you copied the file (typing - several pages) into your computer and tried to run it. The real challenge was when it didn't work and you had to troubleshoot the code.

Those were exciting times.

LOL I hadn't thought about that in a long long time. But you are right, it really was an exciting time and I look back on it with a lot of fond memories.

I have been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit for many months now. I would have to say that I am pretty happy with it. My favorite part is how loading games as well as levels in games is much much faster than in XP. It tends to predict what your going to need and load it into RAM for you ahead of time. In World of Warcraft for example loading the game when you log in used to take about 20 seconds and now it takes about 5 seconds. I really haven't had any problems to speak of and compared to XP 64-bit it is much more compatible with drivers. On top of that I can finally use all 4 Gig. of memory. :D

The worst part of Vista for me is that it seems to run your HD considerably more than in XP. I have been thinking about going to a RAID setup.

Keith

Keith

I'm getting conflicting answers when I search the Web, so does anyone know if the following is true?

Vista Retail means you can uninstall it at a later date, replace your hardware (change of motherboard etc.) and reinstall it.

Vista OEM means that it is locked and registered to the hardware you install it on and so if you ever upgrade you will need to puchase a new copy.

OEM is vastly cheaper than retail but if it's locked to the config then it is of no use to me!

Is that correct or is OEM and Retail just different due to packaging?

Basically that is correct. OEM is locked to the hardware.

But I have read of cases where the MoBo has failed, a replacement of similar type was used. Then a call to M$ to explain that it wasn't an upgrade but a replacement due to hardware failure, and they will OK the same OEM install again. DYOR.
    Darkness isn't there, but you can't see through it

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast