Thread: Wmpnetwk.exe -- Help!

Unhappy Wmpnetwk.exe -- Help!

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering why my output lately has been so low, and then I noticed that my computer is not running at 100% because of BOINC, it is from Windows Media Player, or to be more specific, wmpnetwk.exe.

it is driving me nuts, if I kill the process, it just comes back!

Any Suggestions?
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

i've been trying to kill it for a while as well. it uses too much memory to my liking

i havent succeeded yet

I found some stuff about it a CNET's forums. Apparently if you are running XP or Vista and download the new WMP 11 and have "media sharing" enabled then it does this. It's suppose to do the same thing with 10 though. This is what i saw in the forum's that looked helpful at removing it.

1. In Windows Media Player turn off media sharing

in the library tab right click on it > click "media sharing" unclick the media sharing tab and click ok

2. Turn off the "WMPnetwk.exe" service
    Under the "RUN" command in the start meni type "services.msc"
    Scroll down to "Windows media player network sharing"
    Double click and under startup type set to disabled

3. Uninstall Windows Media Player 11
    4. Install WMP 10.

If you don't want to Uninstall WMP 11 and Install WMP 10 you can try this:

If you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and look down the list for WMPNetworkSvc double click or right click for properties to open, then Stop the service running and then in the Startup Type dropdown list choose Disable and then Apply.

A just in case....... if anything else needs this service to run it may fail, so just retrace the above and Start the service and set the Startup type to Manual > apply.
    Last edited by PoorBoy; 04-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.

In a cornfield about 35 miles east of St. Louis
    I think this thread would be a good candidate to be a sticky for awhile.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

I am totally against political jokes....I've seem to many of them elected!!

I agree on the sticky part there Gatekeeper53! Very Nice work there PoorBoy !

Challenge me, or correct me, but don't ask me to die quietly.

…Pursuit is always hard, capturing is really not the focus, it’s the hunt ...

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy View Post

If you go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and look down the list for WMPNetworkSvc double click or right click for properties to open, then Stop the service running and then in the Startup Type dropdown list choose Disable and then Apply.

A just in case....... if anything else needs this service to run it may fail, so just retrace the above and Start the service and set the Startup type to Manual > apply.
    I actually don't have a service in the list that is related to this process.... weird

Anyway, what you said AMD-USR_JL worked! just diable it, and the process goes away lol, Thanks!
    If you can't make it ... Don't come!
    http://neogen.amdusers.com/contest2007/race4b.htm

Quote Originally Posted by PoorBoy View Post

1st off I'm glad to see you back ... 2nd I also do that with the " BIT "
    ( Background Intelligent Transfer Service )... If you want to update windows you'll have to turn it back on but its no biggy...
    I’m Dangerously Under Medicated!!!