Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BOINC Pentathlon 2011

Post BOINC Pentathlon 2011

Hello dear Friends of the AMD Users BOINC Team,

here's the official Invitation to the 2nd BOINC Pentathlon, again presented by SETI.Germany.

SETI.Germany continues it's new invented challenge and invites all BOINC-Teams to participate in the 2nd BOINC-Pentathlon, following the ideals of the ancient Pentathlon.

It will start May the 5th 2011 (00:00 UTC) and will end May the 18th 2011 (23:59 UTC).

Like in the ancient Greece, the Pentathlon will be held in 5 disciplines. That means within 14 days the participants will have to crunch 5 different projects, all of them for a period of 5 days. That said, you can easily see that some projects will have to be crunched at the same time.

Each team that would like to participate has to sign up until April the 27th. Like in the last year the favourites in the different disciplines can be chosen by every team on their own. The project that gaines the most voices will be crunched.

A list of the projects that can be chosen from can be found here, but you can also suggest other projects. (But before suggesting other projects, please check if the project and/or their servers would be able to withstand the combined BOINC forces. We do not want to bring any project server down.)

More information can be found here.
    Teams can sign up here.

In the last year it was very exciting until the end.
    We hope your Team will join us.

aendgraend
    SETI.Germany

Sounds great!

OK guys, what projects do you want to propose? The choices we enter will go in the vote and that will help decide what the Pentathlon consists of.

I nominate:
    1.WCG - Help Cure Cancer
    2. GPU - Collatz
    3. Physics & Chemistry (CPU) - QMC
    4. Biology & Medicine (CPU) - Poem
    5. Mathematics (CPU) - ABC

1. I do not yet participate in WCG, so every choice is right by me.
    2. Primegrid (gets you most credits)
    3. Leiden (I am AMD Users #1 on this project...but they are real Scrooge McDucks when it comes to credits)
    4. Malaria (handles easier than Rosetta, my 2nd preference)
    5. I do not yet participate in any of the given alternatives, so every choice is right by me.
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-04-2011 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Duck McScrooges -> Scrooge McDucks, Quak!

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    OK guys, what projects do you want to propose? The choices we enter will go in the vote and that will help decide what the Pentathlon consists of.

I nominate:
    1.WCG - Help Cure Cancer
    2. GPU - Collatz
    3. Physics & Chemistry (CPU) - QMC
    4. Biology & Medicine (CPU) - Poem
    5. Mathematics (CPU) - ABC
    1. WCG (Any of the subprojects) sounds good to me
    2. Poem always ran well
    3. Collatz
    4. Rosetta
    5. Docking or Primegrid maybe?

But I'd be happy with WCG, and anything else that doesn't run out of work units right away, or crash the server

NeoGen is offline AMD Users Alchemist Moderator
    Site Admin
    My 5 choices would be...

1. WCG - Help Cure Cancer
    2. GPU - Primegrid
    3. Physics - Leiden
    4. Biology - Poem
    5. Yoyo@Home

But I'll be equally happy with anything that the Team runs on... let's make a strong impression on this year's pentathlon!

Pentathlon 2011: Categories and projects.

The projects for the various disciplines to choose from are:
    1. World Community Grid
    2. GPU Projects
    3. Physics & Chemistry (CPU)
    4. Biology & Medicine (CPU)
    5. Mathematics (CPU)
    Meaning that Ramjet has to formulate a new set of preferences......No Poem for Cat.2; Collatz only possible with Cat.2, not Cat.3; No Docking or Primegrid for Cat.5 (Primegrid could go -as Collatz- with Cat.2). AMDave might want to renew his preferences as well, as Seti is not amongst the CPU projects in this Pentathlon, Cat.1=WCG, take your pick, so not Yoyo; Yoyo and ABC are both Cat. 5
    Last edited by Dirk Broer; 04-06-2011 at 07:56 AM.

AMDave is offline Seeker of the exit clause Moderator
    Site Admin
    May I add some parameters to the choices?
    Bandwidth - Can we try to avoid the larger u/l & d/l volumes? Whilst I admit to doing a LOT of Mersenne@home, it is a bandwidth & connection hog
    GPU types - having no double precision GPUs myself, Milkyway is out and GPUGrid consistently gives high rate of errors on completion every time I go back to try again with new h/w & drivers. Not worth it.
    Stability - Rosetta has a bad habit of going off the rails whenever there is a contest on. Don't get me wrong, it is a very important project, it just isn't stable enough for a set and forget effort at max output.
    Run-time - For a contest I prefer to stay under 24 hours wu-time, else there's too much invested when it comes time to change the primary project. Aborting 20cpus*1day's work sucks & I don't consider it an option. eg QMC, but QMC wu-time may have improved since my last effort there.

That's the negatives out of the way.

I am up for everything else though.

Here's my picks:

CPU:
    1. Yoyo - small d/l u/l sub projects
    2. SETI
    3. WGC - any/all sub project/s
    4. Cosmology
    5. ABC

GPU:
    1. PrimeGrid
    2. DNETC
    3. Collatz

the rest of the GPU projects are exclusive for one reason or another and will eliminate members due to hardware / OS
    Last edited by AMDave; 04-05-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    ---------------------------------------------

I would say,
    1 - computing for clean water - I don't run this project much so any would be ok though
    2 - collatz - most stable across multiple platforms
    3 - leiden - could use a boost
    4 - malaria or poem - others can be gready on b/w
    5 - abc - haven't run it hard in a while so it's due

For those not so familiar with WCG, The Clean Energy project is the biggest bandwith hog with some uploads around 36Mb, and Help Fight Childhood Cancer and Fight Aids have the largest work units, some taking over a day to complete, so maybe not the best choice for a short race. Help Conquer Cancer and Clean Water both run very well with small wu's and short up and downloads.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast